- Employment contracts, manuals, restrictive covenants, NDAs
- Termination letters, releases, settlement documents
- Employment standards and workplace law compliance
- Employee v independent contractor v in-between CRA danger zone individuals
- Human rights issues and disability
- Human rights issues and disability management
- Privacy in the workplace
- Social media and technology in the workplace
- Wrongful dismissal litigation
Employment law is inherently about human relationships. We advise on the legal issues, only after understanding what is the human dynamic. Sometimes the issue is a matter of straight contractual interpretation, but more often than not, it’s because two people have clashed, competed, or fell in love (and then probably out of love).
We advise business owners and executives. Advising on both sides of the employment relationship keeps us fully aware of what is likely motivating the other party.
Businesses want budget certainty, value and focused expertise. We only do employment law and offer many of our legal services on a flat fee option. Our aim is to keep you up-to-date and to apply a pro-active approach to workplace law that mitigates your legal risks before they blow up into a disruptive workplace crisis or worse, litigation.
For on-demand legal advice for your business’ day to day employment law issues, we offer a monthly flat fee retainer option that provides great value and budget certainty.
You will have direct access to an employment lawyer, to build a long-term relationship with someone who cares about the success of your business. Each call and solution builds on the last, and we can work with your HR team, or be your primary external HR law advisor. Either way, we can be your lifeline call before you do something drastic and potentially expensive in your workplace.
- Up to 3 hours of legal advice per month
- Great for the smaller or new business, not ready for a full-time HR Manager, or for the US company with a smaller Canadian operation that needs regular but less frequent advice.
- Monthly reporting
- Free initial consultation
- $1,000 + tax
2017 BrownBag Compliance Program
While many clients want the budget certainty of a monthly flat fee retainer, others prefer the traditional hourly billing model where we bill our hourly rate at 6 minute increments for work performed in your matter. Whether flat fee or an hourly rate, we always provide a budget estimate at each major step of the matter, bill monthly, and keep our billing information transparently open to you on your secure and password protected client portal site.